I like to try new things. Just ask my poor husband. Lately, I’ve been on a quest to prove that there is delicious vegan food out there. I know, crazy thing for a non-vegan to do but bear with me here. For awhile, I was a vegetarian. I just wanted to try it. Now, I’m not anymore. I generally stay away from red meat (occasionally we’ll have a steak or burgers, but I just don’t crave it too much. Give me a chicken breast any day!) and I, on the whole, just don’t eat a lot of meat. I’ve found a lot of ways to eat delicious other things instead.
Anyway, what I’m trying to get to, really, is the delicious pasta dish that I made tonight–that happens to be vegan. And *gasp* the hubby liked it. He even said he’d eat it again!
Creamy Avocado Pasta
Adapted from Oh She Glows
- 8 oz. brown rice vermicelli
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP dried basil
- 2 “dashes” of salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine in the EVOO, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor. (Or, if you’re me, the 3 cup food chopper that you own) Blend until well-mixed
- Add the avocado and basil. Blend again until creamy. Add a few dashes of salt and blend some more. Use a spatula to get some of the stuff from the bottom up and blend some more!
- Drain your pasta, add the sauce, and enjoy!
This was a DELICIOUS pasta dish! I doubled the recipe as provided by OSG, because the pasta was difficult to divide into servings. Consequently, we ate a tad more than we really should have. Nevertheless, it was quite good. The avocado flavor was there, but not too strong, and melded well with the garlic and lemon juice. I actually think that I’ll use less olive oil next time. OSG also called for fresh basil leaves, which I hope to try next time I make this. The basil flavor didn’t come through really at all, but I didn’t have access to fresh basil this time of year. Definitely a delightful, refreshing dish that we’ll make again.